Faculty Council Update

Faculty Council met for the first time in the Spring semester on January 15, 2018.  The majority of the meeting was spent discussing the new Core proposal.  Academic Administrators Neal Bukeavich and James Wallace attended the meeting and shared with the committee work they have begun doing to flesh out the College Seminar, the Learning Communities, and the Clusters.  The placement of Theology in the Core was a prominent discussion topic, as the Theology Department is unanimous in their assertion that being placed only in “conversation” with Philosophy in the clusters is disadvantageous to students’ understanding of their field.

There will be an All-Faculty Meeting to discuss the Core proposal on January 19th at 2:10 pm in the Burke Auditorium.

The agenda is listed below.

All-Faculty Meeting:  January 19th, 2018

Agenda

 

  1. Call to order
  2. Opening prayer: Joel Shuman
  3. Brief description of proposed Core innovations
  4. College Seminar and Learning Communities
    1. Master syllabus, Sample syllabus, Learning Communities’ guidelines
    2. Questions
  5. Clusters
    1. Descriptions
    2. Questions
  6. Map of Learning Outcomes
    1. Questions
  7. Description of process moving forward
  8. Adjournment

Faculty Council meets next on February 2, 2018 at 2:10 pm in the Lipo Room.

 

Faculty Council Update

Faculty Council met on December 8, 2017.  The bulk of the meeting was spent discussing the revised Core proposal.  This discussion was based on reports from divisions where the proposal was discussed, the Ad Hoc committee’s report distributed to all faculty in October, and C and T’s recently submitted draft of its report on the process of the Core review.  Although published minutes will more thoroughly record these discussions, the following were the highlights:

  • We will be adding an All-Faculty Meeting on January 19, 2:10 pm to discuss the proposal from the committee.  This will necessitate moving our scheduled Faculty Council meeting to January 15 at 3:30 pm.
  • Although plans for the meeting are not yet fully formed, goals will include helping faculty to achieve clarity on the new elements of the Core.

Minutes from the November All-Faculty Meeting and the November 10 meeting of Faculty Council will be posted on the Sharepointe site by 5:00 pm, December 13th, 2017. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

 

The next Faculty Council meeting will be at 3:30 pm, January 15 in the Lipo Room.  All are welcome.

Faculty Council Meeting: 12/8/17

Faculty Council will meet December 8, 2017 at 2:10 pm in the Lipo Room of the Campus Center.  All faculty are welcome.  Our agenda is as follows:

Faculty Council meeting agenda

December 8, 2017

 

  1. Call to order
  2. Approval of minutes from November 10 meeting
  3. Chair’s report
  4. Report from Academic Affairs
  5. Reports from standing committees and division representatives
  6. New Business
    1. Proposal to add an All-Faculty Meeting in January to discuss Core proposal
    2. Discussion of Core Proposal and C and T’s response
    3. Faculty Benefits benchmarking proposal
  7. Announcements
  8. Adjournment

Faculty Council Update

Faculty Council met November 10, 2017.

We continued our discussion of health care costs and take home pay.  Faculty Benefits reported that they are working on a plan for bench marking salaries and benefits.  A and P reported that they are working on a template for e-dossiers for promotion and tenure and on a survey related to the potential restructuring of divisions and reseating of standing committees.

Minutes of our October 27th meeting may be found online.

All-Faculty Meeting 11/17/17

The first All-Faculty Meeting of the Year will be held at 2:10 pm on 11/17/17 in the Snyder Room of the Campus Center.  Refreshments will be served.  All faculty are welcome.

The agenda is as follows.

Invocation:  Father Brent Kruger, C.S.C.

Discussion of IITS changes and eventual move toward Bring Your Own Device campus:  Paul Moran and Bill Keating.

Faculty Council Update:  Jennifer McClinton-Temple

Discussion will include: potential award for junior faculty, ongoing discussions with Administration on collaboration and transparency regarding budget issues.

Core Review Update:  Dave Reynolds

Dave will discuss the process that has taken place so far on C and T; others will outline the process that will take place once the proposal moves to Faculty Council and the implementation process as outlined by the Provost.

A and P Update:  Valerie Kepner

Topics will include E-dossiers for promotion and tenure, research on faculty representation on college governing boards, restructuring of divisions, and a discussion of seating on standing committees.

Faculty Benefits Update:  Isaac VonRue

Isaac will focus on Faculty Benefits project to determine the best benchmarks for faculty salaries and benefits.

Announcements

Adjournment

 

 

 

Faculty Council Meeting 11/10/17

Faculty Council meeting agenda

November 10, 2017:  2:10 pm in the Lipo Room.  All are welcome.

 

  1. Call to order
  2. Approval of minutes from October 27 meeting
  3. Chair’s report
  4. Report from Academic Affairs
  5. Reports from standing committees and subcommittees
  6. Old Business
    1. Continued discussion of faculty response to salary and benefits information
  7. New Business
    1. Agenda for All-Faculty Meeting
  8. Announcements
  9. Adjournment

Faculty Council Update

Faculty Council met on October 27, 2017.

The bulk of the meeting concerned documents sent to the Chair and Chair-elect by Human Resources to explain and contextualize faculty salary benchmarks and health insurance benchmarks for all employees.

Our next meeting will be November 10, 2017.  The minutes of our October 6 meeting may be found on the Sharepoint site.

Faculty Council meeting 10/27/17

Dear Faculty:

 

Faculty Council will meet October 27, 2017 in the Molewski Room of the Campus Center at 2:10 pm .  Our agenda is as follows:

  1. Call to order
  2. Approval of minutes from October 6 meeting
  3. Chair’s report
  4. Report from Academic Affairs
  5. Reports from standing committees and subcommittees
  6. Old Business
    1. Continued discussion of Townhall responses from 10-6 (question on classroom furniture)
    2. Discussion of salary and health care benchmarking
  7. New Business
    1. Repository of division meetings minutes
  8. Announcements
  9. Adjournment

Much of the discussion at this week’s meeting will likely take place in the “reports” sections, so I thought I might give you some idea of what might be discussed there, as it is hard to tell from the agenda alone.  In the Chair’s report, we will discuss our meeting with the A and P subcommittee of the Board on October 6 and well as our meeting with Father Ryan on 10/23, during which we discussed IPARC and its purpose.  Although we will not have gotten to the phase where we are discussing the new Core proposal officially, I would think there will be some information from the C and T chair on that subject.  As always, all faculty are welcome to attend.

 

Faculty Council Update

Faculty Council met on October 6, 2017.  Minutes of our September 22 meeting were approved and may be found on the Committee minutes page.

 

We discussed a number of issues, including the following:

  • The rise in health care costs, how much those costs will be offset by salary raises, and how our out-of-pocket health care costs compare to other colleges.  Faculty Council Chair and Chair-elect will be meeting with John Loyack and Kristin Fino on October 20th to discuss these issues.  We will then bring that information back to Council for our meeting of October 27th for further discussion.
  • Provost Joseph Evan brought in data on retention for 16-17.
  • A and P is working on a model for e-dossiers for tenure and promotion applications, on potentially restructuring faculty governance committees, and on the prospect of having faculty representation on the Board of Directors.
  • C and T has begun the process of reviewing the work of the Ad Hoc Committee on Core Review.
  • Faculty Benefits is reviewing the results of a recent faculty survey.
  • Responses given at the Town Hall meetings were reviewed and we discussed how to best use those results.  The comments made at the Town Halls will also be available on the minutes site once the minutes for the Oct. 6th meeting have been reviewed.

Our next meeting is October 27th at 2:10 in the Lipo Room.  As always, all faculty are welcome.

Faculty Council Meeting 10/6/17

Faculty Council will meet on October 6, 2017 at 2:10 pm in the Lipo Room.  All are welcome. The agenda is below.

  1. Call to order
  2. Approval of minutes from September 22 meeting
  3. Chair’s report
  4. Report from Academic Affairs
  5. Reports from standing committees
  6. Old Business
    1. Junior faculty award
    2. Town hall meetings responses
  7. New Business
    1. Repository of division meetings minutes
  8. Announcements
  9. Adjournment
image_print